St. Petersburg State University
Faculty of Economics
62, Chaikovskogo str.
St. Petersburg 191123
About the university: St. Petersburg State University comprises 21 faculties with more than 25,000 students, 2,000 of whom are at the postgraduate level. The university is a Russian centre of science, education and culture of international repute.
In addition to academic partnerships with Virtual Institute members Carleton University of Canada, and Université Pierre Mendès France, the institution maintains academic relationships with other major universities around the world, such as: the University of Cambridge, UK; University of Bologna, Italy; Free University of Berlin and University of Hamburg, Germany; University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands;
Stockholm University, Sweden; Osaka City University, Japan; University of California, Berkeley, USA; and
Peking University, China.
Areas of Expertise: The Department of World Economy is an educational and research entity of the Faculty of Economics established in 1996 following a merger of the Department of Foreign Countries’ Economies and the Department of International Economic Relations.
The Department continually updates the content of its educational programmes and research in response to the latest trends in the world economy. This allows its graduates to stay abreast of new developments and thus meet the demand of Russian and overseas labour markets, and take prominent positions in multinational companies, banks, consultancy agencies and governmental offices.
With regard to research activities, the staff of the Department issues numerous monographs, books and articles in various publications in Russia and abroad, and implements projects on international economic issues in cooperation with research centres in other countries. The staff as well as students at all levels actively participate in Russian and international conferences. Most students are involved in research within the Student Scientific Society established by the Department of World Economy.
The faculty of the Department, headed by Prof. Sergey Sutyrin, consists of 25 lecturers: three Professors, 16 Associate Professors, four Senior Lecturers, and two Assistants.
Courses offered The Department of World Economy delivers the following programmes:
- Graduate programme in World Economy with two elective specialties: Foreign Economic Activity and International Marketing;
- MA in International Trading System and MSc in Strategic Entrepreneurship in the Global Economy, developed in cooperation with foreign partners;
- Seminar on Commercial Diplomacy to impart practical experience in the field of commercial policy;
- PhD in World Economy to prepare future researchers in the field of international economics
- International Summer School in Russian Business for foreign citizens wishing to learn about the Russian economy, and interested in doing business in Russia.