The ability to conduct meaningful analysis of trade and investment issues is essential for developing countries to be able to shape their own policies at a national level, as well as in regional and international negotiating fora.
This CD-Rom is the result of a week-long workshop held in Geneva from the 11 th - 15 th September 2006 aimed at researchers and teachers in academia and other knowledge institutions.
The workshop, attended by 21 researchers and teachers from 17 countries, brought together expertise from UNCTAD, the WTO and the ITC in the use of econometric and simulation tools, and methodologies for policy-oriented trade research.
In addition, an open dialogue was held with policy makers on how to enhance the links between researchers and governments and how to better communicate research results.
The objectives of the workshop were:
- to familiarize participants with sources of data on trade and trade policy
- to present and train them on methodologies for trade and trade policy analysis
- to discuss ways of integrating such analyses into university programmes
- to discuss with policy makers how to present research
- to identify areas of research that could be developed using the techniques and data presented in the workshop