Vi Digital Library
- T (27 documents)
- The World Bank (8 documents)
- PreviewClimate Change, Disaster Risk, And The Urban Poor- Cities Building Resilience for a Changing WorldStudy by The World Bank, 2012, 322 pagesCategories: Finance for Development, Trade and Environment
This study analyzes the key challenges facing the urban poor, given the risks associated with climate change and disasters, particularly with regard to the delivery of basic services, and identifies strategies and financing opportunities for addressing these risks.
- PreviewGlobal Economic Prospects 2013: Assuring Growth Over the Medium Term (English)Report by The World Bank, 2013, 169 pagesCategories: International Financial System, Trade Policy Analysis and Trade Data Sources
This report examines growth trends for the global economy and how they affect developing countries. It includes three-year forecasts and long-term global economic prospects and long-term global scenarios which look ten years into the future. Topical analyses cover financial markets, industrial production, global trade, inflation, exchange rates and commodities.
- PreviewLatin America And The Caribbean As Tailwinds Recede: In Search Of Higher Growth (English)Report by The World Bank, 2013, 60 pagesCategories: Globalization and Development Strategies
This semiannual report examines the short and medium-term challenges for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) as the external factors instrumental in the region’s recent performance. Chapter 1 provides an overview of the global economy and its implications for the short and medium-term prospects of the LAC region. Chapter 2 provides a detailed analysis of the general patterns of domestic demand and supply observed in LAC over the last decade.
- PreviewNatural Resource Abundance, Growth, and Diversification in the Middle East and North AfricaBook by The World Bank, 2012, 228 pagesCategories: Commodities, Globalization and Development Strategies
Investigates the effect of natural resources dependence and the role of policies in achieving sustained growth and diversification away from oil.
- PreviewPathways to African Export Sustainability (English)Report by The World Bank, 2012, 140 pagesCategories: Competitiveness, Enterprise Development
African exporters suffer from low survival in international markets.Is this really the case? This report shows that the answer is “no.” When survival performance is controlled for by observable country characteristics such as—among other things—the level of income, Africa is no outlier. African exports have short life expectancies, but not any shorter than comparable countries. Beyond income levels, short export survival is largely explained by the difficult business environment in which African exporters operate. Once measures of this environment are taken into account, African countries are by no means “below the regression line” in terms of export survival. To give an overview of the report: Chapter 1 sets the stage by putting Africa’s export-survival performance into perspective and proposing a framework that will guide the interpretation of empirical evidence throughout the report. Chapter 2 covers country-level determinants of export sustainability at origin and destination, including the exporting country’s business environment. Chapter 3 explores some of the firm-level evidence on what drives export sustainability, including uncertainty, incomplete contracts, learning, and networks. Finally, chapter 4 offers tentative policy implications.
- PreviewThe Poverty and Welfare Impacts of Climate Change Quantifying the Effects, Identifying the Adaptation Strategies (English)Report by The World Bank, 2012, 146 pagesCategories: Trade and Environment
This report examines the effects of climate change on welfare and poverty. Chapter one describes the general implications of climate change for poverty reduction. Chapter 2 provides a forecast for poverty, by introducing heterogeneity, a microeconomic approach. Chapter 3 deals with the welfare impacts of rainfall shocks in rural Indonesia. Chapter 4 looks at the effects of wheater shocks on houshold welfare in rural Mexico, while chapter 5 deals with the climate variability and its relation to children's height in the same region.
- PreviewToward Gender Equality in East Asia and the Pacific -a Companion to the World Development Report (English)Report by The World Bank, 2012, 272 pagesCategories: Trade and Gender
This report examines the gender dimensions of several emerging trends in the region—increased global economic integration, the rising use of information and communication technologies, migration, urbanization, and rapid population aging.
- PreviewWorld Development Indicators 2013 (English)Book by The World Bank, 2013, 150 pagesCategories: Trade Policy Analysis and Trade Data Sources
This compilation of cross-country comparable statistics about development is organized around six themes—world view, people, environment, economy, states and markets, and global links. Each section includes an introduction, a set of six stories highlighting regional trends, a table of the most relevant and popular indicators, and an index to the full set of tables and indicators available online.It also reviews progress toward the Millennium Development Goals.
- The World Bank (8 documents)