Vi Digital Library
- V-Z (108 documents)
- Virtual Institute, UNCTAD (8 documents)
- PreviewIntroduction to Negotiation Skills and Strategies - A Brief History of Negotiations (English)Summary by Virtual Institute, UNCTAD, 2006Categories: WTO Issues/Multilateral Trading System
What: This paper offers both a brief summary of the history of diplomacy and international negotiations as well as a review on the history of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) and the World Trade Organization (WTO). Who: Especially for teachers and students in classes on international relations that deal with international negotiations. How: Can be used as a starting point to get an overview on the history of negotiations. On points of interest, the paper can be complemented by additional reading. The content of the paper could also be used to design a PowerPoint presentation on the topic.
- PreviewNegotiating for food security - Glossary of trade negotiation terms (English)Manual by Virtual Institute, UNCTAD, 2005, 4 pagesCategories: WTO Issues/Multilateral Trading System
An explanation of some key trade negotiation terms, particularly as they apply to the negotiations on agriculture at the WTO. A useful handout for any course dealing with the multinational trading system.
- PreviewNegotiating for food security - Simulation of multilateral trade negotiations on agriculture (English)Simulation by Virtual Institute, UNCTAD, 2005, 33 pagesCategories: WTO Issues/Multilateral Trading System
A simulation exercise based on WTO agricultural negotiations. The resources for the simulation include a sample negotiating text, suggested agenda, detailed instructions, and background information on the countries involved in the negotiations. Additionally, tips on how to manage the exercise are included for teachers or facilitators. With proper preparation and background information the simulation can be used to give students an introduction to basic negotiating techniques and provides an excellent practical opportunity for them to extend and deepen their knowledge on the WTO Agreement on Agriculture.
- PreviewNegotiating for food security - What makes a successful negotiator: Skills for negotiators (English)Note by Virtual Institute, UNCTAD, 2005, 2 pagesCategories: Trade Policy Analysis and Trade Data Sources, Trade Related Capacity Building, WTO Issues/Multilateral Trading System
A brief overview of some of the skills and behaviours that a successful negotiator requires. A useful background document for any simulation exercise or wider discussion of the function and role of negotiations.
- PreviewNegotiation theory - An overview (English)Summary by Virtual Institute, UNCTAD, 2006Categories: Regional and Bilateral Trade Agreements, WTO Issues/Multilateral Trading System
What:this paper is a brief introduction to the theory of negotiations containing links to more detailed resources on negotiations posted on the Vi site. The paper describes the strategies and tactics used in negotiations and some of the skills required for negotiation. Who: the paper provides an overview for anyone studying negotiations and could be used by teachers to introduce students to the field. How: as a background reading on negotiations defining the scope of the field and linking to more detailed resources for further reading.
- PreviewRegional Trade Agreements example: the UK and the EU (English)Summary by Virtual Institute, UNCTAD, 2005Categories: Regional and Bilateral Trade Agreements
This is a working document giving an example of some of the key issues involved, on a national level, regarding membership in an RTA. The purpose of this example is to provide a "model" for other national examples so that we can compile a series of Factsheets on different RTAs and their relationships with national and international policies.
- PreviewRegional Trade Agreements Template (English)Outline by Virtual Institute, UNCTAD, 2005Categories: Regional and Bilateral Trade Agreements
A loose template to use in developing collaborative teaching materials on Regional Trade Agreements. Can be used for compiling information about RTAs that our countries are involved in.
- Virtual Institute, UNCTAD (8 documents)